Let's Make: Cookie Cutter Bird Feeders
A fun and easy way to help feed our feathery garden friends during the coldest months of the year - your little ones will love this hands-on activity!
You Will Need:
- 150g Lard (room temperature)
- 300g Bird Seed
- 4-6 Cookie Cutters (simple shapes work best)
- Microwavable Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Baking Tray
- String or Ribbon
1) Mix the lard and bird seed together in your bowl - you can microwave the lard for 10sec or so if it's a still a little too hard to mash. Ensure it's all mixed really well!
2) Place your cookie cutters on your baking tray. Carefully spoon in the mixture and fill to the top. Press the mixture firmly into the cutters - the tighter the mixture is packed in, the stronger your bird feeder will be!
3) To make a hole for your hanging string/ribbon, push a pencil through the middle of your shape all the way to the bottom.
4) Place your tray of filled cutters into the freezer for at least 2-3hrs to harden. If the mixture is still soft when pressed after this time, leave a little longer. Too long is better than too soon - we left ours overnight as I had forgotten all about them and they turned out fine.
5) Remove from the freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for 30mins before very carefully pushing the shapes from the cutters.
6) Thread and tie your string or ribbon through the hole, hang on your bird table or tree (out of reach of any dogs) and wait for the birds to arrive!
Handy Tips - (where we went wrong on the first attempt!)
- Don't melt the lard into an oil - you'll end up with a slushy, runny mess!
- Use super simple cookie cutters - finer detailed shapes break up too easily on removal.
- Make the hole for the string central to keep your shape as strong as possible.
- Hang your bird seed shapes out of direct sunlight if possible - the heat from the sun, even on the coldest days, can soon melt the lard and cause your shape to fall apart.
- For Spring/Summer feeders, swap the lard for gelatin - we'll be testing this one soon, so be sure to check back again!